Learning Technology

Five minutes with … Clyde Davies

July 1st, 2015 at 08:07

What three words describe you?

Inquisitive, scientific, and impish.

What’s your job role?

I’m the Learning Systems Analyst.  I go out into the business and talk to people about how we can better make our learning systems fit their needs.  Then I take my findings and turn them into something we can deliver against.

Increasingly, I’ve found myself supporting projects outside LRLR, such as the MACCS replacement in the Medical School, and the Book Suggestions process for the Library.  I’m one of those odd techies who can not only code but actually talk to people to find out what they want.  I ask a lot of questions, sometimes very obvious ones.

Tell us something ‘unusual’ about yourself

I used to keep bees as a hobby.  After a couple of disastrous years I gave up but am looking to start again.  Perhaps the Estates Division will let me keep a couple of hives around the back of KMC?

What excites you most about learning technology?

I’ve been here just a year. My last stint working at the University was back in 1991.  Since then the way that technology has transformed teaching is incredible.  Platforms like Moodle have both enabled better teaching and helped to raise the bar.

Also, I sat through some appalling lectures both as an undergraduate and postgraduate, but now a well-delivered lecture, captured and presented on Moodle, is something for the University to take pride in.

Your top tip(s)?

Network, network, network!

Build good relationships with your colleagues and the other people you come into contact with, however fleetingly.

Don’t be afraid to volunteer your time and expertise, no matter how busy you are.

What goes around, comes around.

What do you think will be the most important thing in learning technology at the University of  Nottingham in 2015/16?

From my own point of view, it’s how e-Assessment evolves to take into account our future needs.  There’s a big exercise going on at the moment to find out exactly what e-Assessment means to the University.  My own focus is going to be on summative assessment, especially within Rogō.  Rogō is a remarkable achievement and one which demands that if we build upon it further, we do so solidly and strategically.

What have you learned recently?

I dusted off my programming skills and learned to program Web applications.  I have donkeys’ years of experience in writing software using C# and Visual Basic.NET but up to now had managed to treat Web development as an ‘area of strategic incompetence’.  That is, I was quite happy for someone else to do it.  I was quite surprised to learn how good it was.

Post a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

No comments for “ Five minutes with … Clyde Davies ”