Learning Technology

Five minutes with … Simon Barnett

July 11th, 2011 at 10:07

Simon BarnettAnother in our series of interviews with colleagues here in the Learning Technology Section (and friends). Simon Barnett regularly blogs here and you can also find him on Twitter at @sim0nb.

What three words describe you?

Resourceful, creative, practical

What’s your job role?

I am one of  three Video Producers within the Learning Technology Section.  It’s fair to say that no two days are ever the same.

We produce video for academic and non-academic audiences here at the University and beyond, these videos take many forms, ranging from simple lectures to a multi-camera studio production  to a live webcast of the Lord Dearing conference. In the immediate future we will be producing the University Graduation ceremonies. Another aspect of the day job is the training in  Video Production we offer to staff and also students across the University, so they can produce their own material.

Tell us something ‘unusual’ about yourself

Way back when I was a student in Sunderland, I was involved in the student run radio station, Utopia FM and one day I had my hair cut. Nothing unusual except it was live on-air at 4.30pm on a Friday afternoon and my hair was cut by a member of the University hockey club! Fortunately I don’t think a copy of the audio exists anywhere anymore…

What excites you most about learning technology?

The speed at which technology is moving and allowing people to meet, share and interact with each other whilst still having the opportunity to learn - be it from the other side of the world or their home campus.

Your top tip(s)?

Don’t be scared of embracing video or other new technology. Switch off your email notifications (visual + audio) and just look at email at certain time throught the day, you will find your productivity increases.

What do you think will be the most important thing in learning technology at the University of  Nottingham in 2011/12?

Mobile technology. It has developed so fast in just under 4 years that I think we are beginning to see software mature and become really stable. I am looking forward to seeing apps being developed in both i0S and Android OS by lecturers / learning technologists as the understanding of what is possible on smartphones and tablets continues to grow.

What have you learned recently?

How to use the University’s website CMS system – not all of it but enough to get started.

Previous posts in this series:

Post a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

No comments for “ Five minutes with … Simon Barnett ”