Learning Technology

Five minutes with… Nigel Owen

May 11th, 2011 at 03:05

Nigel Owen1. What three words describe you?

Tenacious, Imaginative, practical

2. What’s your role in the team in the Learning Technology Section?

I lead the Delivery Group. We are a small bunch of staff who support and underpin the delivery of the Learning Technology services at the University. In practice that’s offering support, training, advice and consultancy on WebCT, Touchstone, QuestionMark Perception, Equella Learning Content Management System, Moodle, Turnitin and PebblePad – to name just a few!

3. Tell us something ‘unusual’ about yourself

I went on a day trip with my wife to the Grand Canyon (from Las Vegas). I’m not a great fan of heights so didn’t get off the coach and stayed firmly sat on the side of the coach that was furthest from the rim edge.

4. What excites you most about learning technology?

The ubiquitous access to information – Access to anything anywhere.

For example (not related to learning). I was recently took my daughter to a birthday party of a friend whom I had not seen in a few years. We were lamenting that we did not see each other and decided that we should go out for dinner on another occasion. I suggested that we should decide a date now otherwise we’d never get around to doing it. Using our mobile phones we found an evening when neither of us were busy, got a restaurant recommendation and made a reservation. All in the space of about 5 minutes whilst we stood in the reception of Plumtree leisure centre!

5. Your top tip(s)?

You can get so much more done if you close Outlook for one day!

6. What do you think will be the most important thing in learning technology in Nottingham in 2011?

I hear that we’re all moving to Moodle…

7. What have you learned recently?

How a steam train works. I took the kids to the National Railway Museum and watched a man explain it with a large stick.

Previous posts in this series

Post a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

No comments for “ Five minutes with… Nigel Owen ”