Learning Technology

Five minutes with … Julian Tenney

April 27th, 2011 at 09:04

This interview with Innovation Team head Julian Tenney is the second in our occasional series on the human faces of the Learning Technology Section (and friends). The first was Chris Gratton.

1. What three (printable & reasonably professional!) words describe you?

Questioning, problem solving, innovative.

2. What’s your role in the team in the Learning Technology Section?

I lead the Innovation Team. We are a group of programmers, video production specialists and graphic artists and designers, providing services to the University community in the production of interactive materials and rich media to support teaching and learning.

3. Tell us something ‘unusual’ about yourself

I play a fretless banjo.

4. What excites you most about learning technology?

The pace of change. I think technology is moving a lot faster than anyone realizes. I can’t imagine working in a world without the internet, and the speed at which this has completely changed the way we work and communicate is really amazing. My children are growing up with technology that was science fiction when I was their age.

5. Your top tip(s)?

If you write code, use some version control software. I’m amazed at the number of developers who don’t use any.

6. What do you think will be the most important thing in learning technology in Nottingham in 2011?

The use of video in teaching and learning. We are seeing an explosion in demand for the recordings of lectures and other events, and it is increasingly expected that recordings of lectures and events will be made.

7. What have you learned recently?

I’m learning about luthiery, the building and repair of stringed instruments, and I’m building a mandolin.

Post a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

No comments for “ Five minutes with … Julian Tenney ”