Learning Technology

Advent Calendar Day #17: 7 Top tips for PowerPoint presentations

December 17th, 2010 at 08:12

Zen imageWhenever I see a particularly impressive PowerPoint presentation it always makes me want to up my game and  I turn to my favourite source of inspiration on the topic of presetnations: the book Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery by Garr Reynolds. Alternatively there’s Garr’s blog  Presentation zen or you can follow him on Twitter for his tips.

Top tips I’ve collected from Mr Garr and others over the years:

1. Keep it simple
  2. Limit the number of bullet points / amount of text
  3. Use good graphics (see the Xpert Attribution tool, Advent Calendar Day #1 for an easy way to find photographs)
  4. Start with an appropriate theme (e.g., The University of Nottingham template) but don’t use the ones built into PowerPoint, as they’ll have been seen dozens of times before!
  5. Use no more than two complementary fonts
  6. Don’t worry about having too many slides – better to have a couple of easy-to-read slide than one overloaded one. It’s mroe important that each slide is around for an appropriate amount of time
  7. If you’re using a presentation for a live lecture and for adding to the VLE afterwards, consider recording your audio so you can add that later, or having slightly different versions. Putting up a version with gaps before the lecture can pique students’ interest.

Post a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

No comments for “ Advent Calendar Day #17: 7 Top tips for PowerPoint presentations ”